31 August 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year, but...


When I called hurricane season the most wonderful time of the year, I didn’t mean to imply that I love the destruction of it all. I just meant that it’s an interesting time to be living on the east coast; I like watching the predictions of the storm tracks, and I like having to haul my patio furniture in every couple of weeks and move my car so that it’s not under any trees. I don’t like that people die in these things. Just wanted to make that clear.

I find it unsettling that we’re already at K on the hurricane list. In 2009, we were still early in the alphabet at the beginning of September. This time last year we hadn’t gotten to E yet, and when Juan hit back in 2003, it didn’t get here until the end of September. At this rate, Hurricane Leslie (2012, baby!) will hit in mid August. 

No comments: