13 June 2009

Hockey Wagons

Apparently, I'm pretty random in the bandwagons that I choose to jump on. A few years ago, while I was living in Edmonton and they were in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I just really didn't care. I mean, it would have been nice if they won, but it didn't matter to me one way or the other. Fast-forward to Game 7 of Pittsburgh v. Detroit and I'm sitting on the couch, glued to the screen and holding my breath. Somehow, I managed to catch it. Sidney mania. It's very potent stuff; I've only lived in his hometown for 6 months, but it got to me (Aside, I prefer "Sidney mania" to "Sidney fever," as the latter sounds like some kind of VD).

It's all very cool - like some motivational sports movie. The greatest player since Gretzky (so they say) and he's, like, twelve, and is already Captain of the best team in the league, and is in Tim Horton's commercials and everything. Then he wins the Cup. And he grew up a few blocks from where I'm sitting. If you were in my place, you'd think it was cool too.

I'm so very glad Pittsburgh won. Not just for Sidney, but also because of my dislike for Redwings fans, that I've documented before. Take that, Motor City!

No comments: