07 May 2009

A bad season for hypochondriacs

Has anyone else noticed the rash of brain tumors on TV this year? Maybe it's only because I'm unemployed and have tons of time to watch TV, more than one person reasonably should. But at least 4 shows I can think of off the top of my head have given main characters brain tumors - I won't say which ones for the sake of those who don't know yet. I don't find the brain tumour device to be especially effective.* I mean, these aren't shows that gleefully, mercilessly kill off main characters all willy nilly (I'm looking at you, 24 and Spooks). These are shows that don't usually change that much from year to year, so to tease that a main character might die is pretty anticlimactic.

*Okay, I don't find the brain tumor plot device to be very effective anymore. My first experience with it was very effective. I was shocked when I found out the Scully had a brain tumor - I still remember that reveal, I couldn't believe that it was true. In hindsight, I'm not sure my love of that show was entirely healthy.

No comments: