08 April 2009

Do we even need PEI?

I just saw an add online for PEI tourism. How long have they been calling themselves The Gentle Island? As opposed to what? The island in Lost? I suppose it's better than calling themselves The Innocuous Island. But, really, is their only selling point the fact that they're not attached to land? We know you're an island! It's in your name! Granted, PEI doesn't have much going for it. I was there once, and I remember it being very flat. Maybe they could capitalize on the tumulosusphobe market? Or, maybe it's about time that PEI stopped pretending it's a real province and gave itself over to New Brunswick rule. At least NB has the magnetic hill, and a catchy, alliterative, bilingual slogan.

On a slightly related note, I've committed to reading the Anne of Green Gables books. I figured that since I am female, Canadian, and living in the maritimes that it was about time I read them.

No comments: