20 February 2009

Trip across the harbour

As I said in a previous post, I've been on a mini vacation across the harbour the last couple of days. On Friday, I met up with Alej and we watched movies and ate garlic fingers with donair sauce. How I missed donair sauce! On saturday morning we went to the farmer's market. It's still in the brewery building. I thought they'd be in the fancy, new, eco-building by now, but I don't think it's built yet. All y'all that want to see the market in all its glory and charming crowdedness better come to visit me before it moves!

I was sick on Saturday (and Sunday, and Monday, and still) so we went back to Alej's after the market and napped, then had a lazy rest of the weekend. On Sunday night I went to my Aunt's house to spend a few days. My cousin is visiting with her 4 month old, the smiley-est little kid I've ever seen. His cuteness gives giant pandas a run for their money (although he's not as cute as red pandas, but, really, what is?).

On Monday we took little Smiley to Point Pleasant for a walk. It was a sunny day, the wind was a bit sharp, but it was a great ocean walk anyway. As we left the park we saw a couple with a baby bulldog. It was only 9 weeks old and was absurdly cute. I didn't take a picture, because taking a picture of a stranger's dog is weird. But I got some off google:



On Tuesday we went to Pete's Frootique, which is a wicked grocery store that specializes in produce you've never heard of, and imported stuff from Britian. Every time I go into Pete's it makes me want to learn how to cook, just so that I can use ingredients like carambola, cherimoya, and feijoa. Sadly, Pete's has an extensive collection of seafood products, including chips:
This isn't completely new to me, I once ate cuttlefish-flavoured chips (before my moratorium on seafood), but for some reason, shrimp cocktail pringles completely grosses me out.

After Pete's we went to the Chickenburger for lunch. Chickenburger, unbeknownst to me, is a HRM institution and should not be missed. But if you do miss it, don't worry - it was pretty crappy. Rumour has it, the place recently changed hands and has gone downhill.

That's about the extent of my trip. I spent a lot of time playing with Smiley. I also spent a lot of time being creeped out. My aunt has two large stuffed dolls (for lack of a better word) that she keeps in a little tableau at the top of her stairs, and pretty much every time I went up the stairs, I thought someone was there.
The eagle-eyed among you will recognize that they're dressed in scouting uniforms. My aunt's a life-long guider and is using Mr. & Mrs. Creepy in celebrations of guiding in Canada (almost 100 years). At night, they come alive and dance a mournful waltz.

1 comment:

Alej said...

Those puppies are insanely cute! Well, really....most puppies are really cute...except I didn't really like labradoodles (I think that's how you spell it?). People should just stop trying to make different breeds!