21 February 2009

Note for Deb

Okay, so I did finish Book of Negroes. I was so glad it ended the way it did - although I was thinking that she'd find her husband (instead of May) despite what Clarkson had told her (I'm being vague in case others haven't read it yet. And they should read it, because in spite of what I'm about to say, it's a damn good book).

I think the book was too depressing. I mean, I know it's about slavery, so it isn't supposed to be all sunshine and kittens, but the book didn't really leave me with any hope for her or her people. Which is weird, considering that she had hope (I think) and that I know slavery and the slave trade were abolished. I should have been filled with hope. She was such a strong woman, I guess I'm really disappointed that, for all her ability to cope, she never had more than a few moments of happiness.

And when I say it was depressing, I mean depressing. And this is me saying this. My three favourite books involve a school shooting, the end of civilisation, and a slow downward spiral into suicide. I'm no stranger to depressing topics, but none of those leave me feeling as low as this book left me feeling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note. :-)

I certainly won't argue that it wasn't depressing. I definitely remember thinking, on her return "home", "my god, what else can happen to this poor woman?". But, I think that it was her hope that made the book more, umm, uplifting (...definitely not the right choice of word, but I can't think of any better now) for me. I didn't leave the book feeling depressed about it. I left the book overwhelmed and with a big feeling of "wow", due to her strength and resourcefulness.

On the depressing side of things, I just read Mercy Among the Children. I found it really, really depressing, about unhappy people who's lives never turned around and who were never optimistic about their own fates (in contrast to Aminata's life). I'd be interested in hearing your view on that one if you get around to reading it.

Anonymous said...

Here's another way to look at it. My mom and I were just discussing this book so I pulled out your opinion to add to our discussion. She says (and these are direct quotes from my mom), "It's history and it puts a human face on history. Also, it's history and we know that history stands on the shoulders of giants...and she was a giant". Just thought I'd add that. :-)