12 February 2009

Happy Birthday Darwin!

It rained all day (yes, I said rain, suck it Edmonton!) so I was unable to carry out my plan of disseminating Origin to the masses. Although, I did have to wait 20 minutes in Zellers for a prescription...I suppose I could have used that time more wisely, perhaps they would have let me use the PA system? Regardless, this year's Darwin Day was a bust. (Ooh! I just noticed that today's Google logo is Darwin inspired. Cute).

I did, however, commandeer the TV on Tuesday night and make my brother and sister-in-law watch the NOVA doc on the court trial to teach Intelligent Design. I'm not going to go into a huge rant about ID and how frustrating it is. I did that while I was watching. I think my family was getting tired of hearing me yell at the TV and slam my fists into the couch cushions. But how am I supposed to react when someone criticizes a biology textbook for being "laced with Darwinism"?

The doc is really good, even if you know the story already. I totally love the narrator, at one point he's describing ID as "scientific" and you can hear the finger quotes. If you've got nothing better to do tonight (and you probably don't, because Bones isn't on), watch it and yell at the ID people, and feel admiration for the high school teachers, and find yourself feeling a begrudging respect for the judge, despite his unsavoury connections to Bush.

Hey, "doc" is "cod," backwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY DARWIN! There is an article in this months National Geographic about him that I am reading. It is taking me a while to get through it...I only read 1 paragraph at a time.

BOO Halifax! I say boo because when I read your blog today it said you posted it at 3:17...or something like that... and I got excited then realized that I am an hour behind you and its not almost time to go home!