16 January 2009

PETA follows my example

I like when people crazier than I am jump on my bandwagons. Then I feel less like a militant ecofreak, and more like the calm voice of reason. Not that I look down on those crazier or more radical than I am. We need people like that.

This is why I am overjoyed to welcome PETA to war on fishing. They have a new campaign (shout out to Oz for the heads up) called Save the Sea Kittens. This name is interesting to me for two reasons, the first being that when people are surprised that, as a person who studies fish I don't also enjoy eating them, I often ask in response, "Do vets eat kittens?" The second is that I had a friend who referred to fish as "hairless puppies." Not a far leap from there to sea kittens.


From what I can tell, it's a campaign specifically to get the US Fish and Wildlife to stop promoting fishing, and to get people (including so-called "vegetarians") to eat less fish. It's linked with another site called Fishing Hurts, that's all about the cruelties of fishing.

I think it's great that they're trying to raise awareness for animals so often ignored. I also think it's sad that people can't appreciate the beauty and importance of fish without having to dress them up. However, I recognize that other people's minds don't work like mine (e.g., not everyone buys plush cod fish) so, if this works to awaken people to the wonderful world of fishes, I'll be happy.

The Save the Fishes site has some brilliant "stories" about the sad lives of modern sea kittens. My favourite is the tale of Tony the trout, because I love a fish that can appreciate irony. And you can make your own sea kitten! And, finally, for those of you who don't know what to get me for my birthday, here's a hint.

No comments: