12 January 2009

late night ramblings, with very little point

Can't sleep. Usually when I can't sleep, I lie awake thinking about how I'm not sleeping. Apparently, you aren't supposed to do that. So I decided to get up and do something else for a while. Namely, think about other things than the fact that I'm not sleeping.

I just finished reading The Killing Circle. I don't usually read murder mystery-type books, but I've liked every other book by this author (Andrew Pyper), so it was a good bet that this would be good as well. And it was; it was also effectively creepy. But that has nothing to do with me not sleeping.

I don't know what I'll read next. I was thinking of reading something by a Bronte and upping my number. But I also recently picked up a Wayne Johnston book at a used bookstore, and I'm looking forward to it because the other books of his I read were fantastic. I read a lot now that I have nothing to do and nowhere to go.

I also realized that I didn't make any resolutions this year. I usually make really easy ones that are nearly impossible to not keep. Like resolving to not feel guilty about watching a lot of TV, or resolving to swear more. (Ironically, I find that as I get older, I just swear less. What the fuck is up with that? Also, as I am now living with impressionable children, I almost never swear anymore). So, this year, my resolution will be....to not get brain cancer from a cellular phone. Wish me luck!

We got a lot of snow this afternoon. So pretty. Oh, and for the first time in my life, I'm starting to appreciate all that crap about "damp" vs. "dry" colds. Hali is a damp cold, and it's a whole other beast compared to Edmonton. Having said that, I'll take a damp -19 with the 'chill over Edmonton's record lows any day.

Okay, I'm off to try sleeping again...

No comments: