27 December 2008

Reading by numbers

My sister-in-law received for Christmas a book entitled, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. The list (which you can see here) was complied by a large group of people, but still tends to be British and American-biased. Also, some of the "books" are short stories, novellas, or, in the case of one, technically an essay. As comprehensive as the list is, going back to the 1700s, some of their book choices are lacking in logic. How is it that The Shining made the list, while Generation X did not?

Aside from the list's obvious faults, it didn't take long for us to turn it into a competition by figuring out how many we had each already read. My middle brother won with almost 100, I came in 2nd with 79. My mom was third with mid-50s and my eldest brother was last with an abysmal 20-something.

My eldest brother would have had a higher number, he argued, if "watching the movie" counted as a half point, and having read the Illustrated Classics version was also half a point. He lost the argument, however. It only counts if you've actually read the book. Sadly, merely knowing the book exists doesn't even garner you a quarter point.

So, have a look at the list, and tell me your number.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'll check out the list and let you know. But, I've been meaning to send you an e-mail on this topic...if you're looking for a great, totally compelling book, pick up Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill! Incredible read.

Anonymous said...

And, now that I've had time to look over the list, I definitely have some reading to do. My count is 54 (although I have a feeling that there might be some I read years ago and have forgotten about). I think I'll start at the top of the list and work my way down - or maybe bottom up...either way, I'll give my library card a good workout. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've read 71.5 - I've read half of Virginia Woolf's The Years and I refuse to ever read another one of her books I couldn't even get through one! But I'm very impressed with myself and thought I should share :)

Ellie Fish said...

71.5 is an awesome number Anne, especially since I think of you more as a nonfiction reader and the list was entirely fiction books.

And 54 is a good starting point, Deb! You still beat my brother!

Anonymous said...

Hey... Are you as amazed as i am that I have read 18 (maybe 19). And so you know... it isn't all total non-fiction... Alias Grace is based on a true story and so is The Black Dahlia...as for my numbers

9 (maybe 10) - I had to read for school (is 'A Modest Proposal' the essay you were talking about?)

7 - I read on my own accord

2 - ones that you made me read in highschool

Ellie Fish said...

Yes, A Modest Proposal was what I was talking about. Did we read that in Grade 10? or 11? Remember we had to write our own satircal essay? I think I wrote about a trip to the States...

And what, pray tell, did I "make" you read in high school?

Anonymous said...

I guess I wouldn't say you "made" me read them...maybe strongly suggested is a better term. You strongly suggested I read "Trainspotting" (at least I think it was you who suggested it...I don't think i know anyone else who read much) and "Get Shorty"... I did enjoy both books so it wasn't a horrible experience... not like having to read 1984 or Heart of Darkness.

As for the essay...It must have been Gr. 11 because it was in Mrs. Stone's class. I can't remember what I wrote... but I bet I could find it at home :)

Ellie Fish said...

Ah, Trainspotting is a good book. I have no memory of you reading it, but I'm sure I was proud of you at the time. Get Shorty was good too, I think. Did I get you to read Touch (same author, Elmore Leonard)? It's my favourite Leonard.

And if anyone has essays they wrote 10+ years ago, it'll be you.