05 December 2008

News

A while ago, I pledged to give up the news again. But it's hard, man. It's hard to avoid information - it's everywhere. They give it away for free.

Besides, if I gave up reading the news, I wouldn't get to see gems like this: "...It was the third suspected homicide in Edmonton this week." On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "meh" and 10 being "holy crap, that's alarming" I put that statement at about a 8.9. I mean, if it was any other city (aside from, say, Murderpeg) I would probably be more shocked. If there were three suspected homicides in WhooVille this week, then I'd be surprised.

Also, giving up the news would mean that I wouldn't have noticed the new, creepy trend of murder suspects having Facebook pages. My dislike of Facebook is well documented (by me), and I dislike it even more now that you can look up murder suspects and become their friends (William is feeling incarcerated; See my Arraignment photo album!). I would think the fact that murderers like it should totally count as a Facebook con.

I don't have a logical end to this post, other than the fact that it's nearly impossible to avoid news or information. Oh, and never, ever, ever read the Comments sections on the CBC.ca stories. Ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god, the CBC comments drive me insane. I read some today (for some unknown reason since I also always vow not to) on an article about a 5 year old girl who's painting won a contest to be on a kleenex box. Now, you'd think "nice story, good for her". Who could have anything negative to say about that one...boy was I wrong. Maddening.