12 December 2008

Downhill Hockey Death Race

For some reason, I'm really suspicious of new sports. If a sport hasn't been around for at least a hundred years, I tend to look at it with incredulity. Especially since most "new" sports aren't really that new. Like, parkour is cool and all, but it's just running, jumping, and climbing. What's so innovative about that?

This is a completely illogical stance, I realize. I mean, every sport was new at some point. But, had I been around in 1891 when my maybe-ancestor started tossing balls into peach baskets, I'd be all, "WTF, James? Aren't cricket and football good enough for you?"

So when Oz told me about this new sport called Crashed Ice, it just sounded like hockey players racing each other. But as I learned more, I discovered it's hockey players racing each other. Downhill. To the death.

My favourite part, however, is that the course takes over part of Quebec City. Have a look, it's actually pretty wicked:



Much in the same way that badminton is a sport for boring people (e.g., myself), Downhill Hockey Death Race is a sport for the clinically insane.

3 comments:

Alej said...

Hey, Badminton is not for the boring! Sure, it's not an adrenaline rush like this sport, but people who play Badminton are not boring. And I not just saying that because I play!

Ellie Fish said...

As soon as I wrote that I thought to myself, "Monica isn't going to agree with me." But you have to admit, on a Type of People Who Play Particular Sports Scale of 1-10, with 1 being Boring people and 10 being Batshit Crazy people, most badminton players will fall on the lower end of the scale. And I'll be right there with you!

Anonymous said...

That's just crazy. It looks like it hurts the knees. A lot.
And they did kind of appear to be in pain at the end...not for me, I don't think. I'll join you on the badminton court.