06 November 2008

Crackpot theory, FTW

I think if I was part of a culture that worshipped multiple gods, I'd totally worship the Gods of Sleep. Not only because I really, really like Sleep, but because maybe if I worshiped them, the Gods would actually give me some real sleep. And it's not just me. I think, given the chance, most people would worship the Sleep Gods if it meant actually getting sleep.

My BFF hasn't been sleeping lately. She calls it "cancer of the sleep." But I have a new theory about why everyone I know is always tired. My idea is that our ability to sleep, and the good things that sleep does for us, has not evolved as fast as our society. Current sleep is a restorative process meant for the kind of lives we would have lived, say, 300 years ago. Our way of life has changed so much, and so quickly, that Sleep can't keep up and is insufficient to meet modern demands. I think that after a certain age, we all live in a perpetual sleep deficit. There is no way, in our society, to make up this deficit, and it simply grows as we get older.

On the plus side, caffeine comes in many great forms and flavours. I think I'll make a trip to Timmy's this afternoon...

No comments: