21 September 2008

Where am I?

I'm so damn curious as to how this can actually happen: "Booking mistake lands woman in Sydney, N.S., instead of Australia." I mean, it's not like taking the wrong exit off the highway. The accidental booking part is not hard to figure out, I suppose. You are given the chance to review your ticket selection at least twice before paying, and it's possible to not notice the "Canada" in place of "Australia." It's also possible that, if you used one, the travel agent was woefully bad at their job.

Although, how is it that these people didn't read their tickets? Were they not asked at check-in "Where are you going today?" (I usually get asked). How did they not notice that the flight they were boarding was going to Canada? Did they not see that they had no transfer ticket out of Canada? Did they think they would get one once they got here? How is it that people can get all the way to Canada from Argentina (or England) and only then think, "hmm, this doesn't seem right."

I suppose part of it is obliviousness - people chronically unaware of their surroundings. And while I think it is impossible to "accidentally" fly anywhere, I would pay good money to know the confluence of events that led to their supposedly doing so.

No comments: