21 May 2008

Quicksand

So I logged onto Blogger to put up a post, and I ended up following a link to a blog after my own heart. Oh, I'm so jealous I didn't think of that first.

From there, I went to this crackpot condoning improper quotation use. He calls them "shout quotes." Ignorant quotes is more like it.

Then after getting frustrated with that display of wanton support of bad grammar and pseudoilliteracy, I went back to the sane blog, and clicked through to here. Which I kind of agree with, in principle. Or maybe more that that, because you can substitute "Ellie" for "white people" in that article and it's shockingly accurate.

Of course, once I landed on a site called Stuff White People Like, I had to check out the full list. Interestingly, Grad School is No. 81. I have to say, I do agree that I like a lot of things on the list (Nos. 13, 25, 35, 38, 50, and 97). However, I disagree with the list on a number of points as well (Nos. 89, 86, 67, 47, and 42). Down with No. 42!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely the goal of "shouting" could be achieved through use of a bolder, larger, or italicized font; capitalization of the first letter or entire word; or even a line underneath the word in question. An exclamation mark would also suffice!

Serial commas and semicolons forever!

"Sincerely" yours,
Oz