09 April 2008

Little Green Bag

(Disclaimer: The following should not be interpreted as an endorsement for Telus. I mean, I loved their commercial with the bunnies watching TV, but you should really pick your own cable company. I'm also not responsible for any disturbing images you might see, should you click on any links I provide.)

Say what you will about Quentin Tarantino, but he has a way of taking songs and attaching them so completely to his movies that no one is ever able to think about them in any other way. Ever again. Like, literally, ever again. So, imagine my surprise when I saw this Telus ad on TV the other night:




Inspired, I can only assume, by this (it was remarkably hard to find a clip of this, and even this one’s been messed with, but you get the idea):



I know what Telus is doing here, but for the love of God, have they even seen Reservoir Dogs? I mean, what possible connection can they draw between bundled internet/phone/cable services and an incredibly bloody movie about a bank heist gone wrong? You just know, it was totally some GenY movie geek at the advertising company that has been waiting for years to do some kind of homage to Tarantino, and this was the best he could do.

It just feels so wrong. I mean, if you’re going to rip off Reservoir Dogs, why not go for broke, buy the rights to Stuck in the Middle with You, and have the macaw tie the cockatoo to a chair and pluck its feathers? (Sorry, was that a spoiler?). On second thought, scratch that. There should be a moratorium on animals acting out scenes from Tarantino movies.

Telus should bring back the bunnies and have them reenact Casa Blanca or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I actually had much the same thought the other night when I saw that ad for the first time.