19 March 2008

Back home

I was watching 22 Minutes last night, and I was really impressed by how funny it was. I think after Mercer left it went downhill for awhile. It was pretty kickass last night. Before I get on to more depressing things, you should check out the highlights from last night's show. I recommend The Four Celtic Sisters (live from the famed "U2 castle"). At the end, Majumder totally cracks.

On to more sad things, at the very end of the broadcast one guy (whose name I don't know) had a piece about Chris Garrett. I hadn't known that there was a battle going on to have him considered for a Cross of Valour. Apparently, this has been going on since November:




And I read that the requirements for consideration have recently been changed, and now the hurtle is to convince the Governor General that he deserves it.

I think he does. During the trial for the killer, it came out that he had a plan (literally written down on paper) to kill other people, and to make a final, bloody stand. It was chilling. The original Cobourg Daily Star articles are no longer available online, so this will have to do.

I remember when it happened. I was home from school, and it was my dad's 60th Birthday. I remember at the time there were a lot of wild rumours, about there being more than one person down, and missing bodies. People just don't get murdered in Cobourg. Especially not people who actually live in Grafton and work in Cobourg, as Garrett did. I was back in Halifax by the time the funeral happened, so I watched it on TV (it was broadcast nationally). And I followed the trial online.

Anyway, it's all very sad and probably not a good thing to bring up on a Wednesday when the weekend feels so far away. Sign the petition if you feel so inclined. Speaking as someone from the community, Chris Garrett really did save lives that night.

No comments: