08 June 2007

I didn't vote for him

I found another reason to hate Harper. He has refused to meet with Bono, saying that he doesn’t meet with celebrities or whatever. I should preface this by stating that I’m not bothered because it’s Bono he won’t see, I’m bothered because he’s refusing to meet with an internationally respected humanitarian (who just happens to be the God of my inner world). Given all the criticism he’s getting over fucking up African relief, he should do more to defend himself – like get Bono back on his side.

The CBC website has a comment section asking “Should unelected activists such as Bono have the ear of our prime minister?” To that I respond, “We have elected activists? I didn’t vote for an activist, when was that election?” There are a lot of people commenting that the Prime Minister shouldn’t waste his time (and, by extension, their tax money) listening to Bono and instead should meet with Joe and Jane Canadian to hear them out. I’m sorry, but for issues like African relief, I’d rather give someone from the front lines 20 minutes with Harper than someone from Yarmouth. The real fact of the issue is that the African crisis is so huge, complex, and appalling that it’s beyond our comprehension. Most of us have some idea of what is happening in some countries, but there are so many countries, with so many problems. I think Bono knows more than most people, and if he can convey knowledge to Harper and therefore help affect change… of course he should be able to meet with him. I don’t care that Bono doesn’t pay taxes in Canada, or that Harper won’t meet with me to discuss the Porbeagle fishery. I think someone doing what Bono does - working so tirelessly to help millions of people - demands the respect we would given any humanitarian, regardless of record sales or fame.

Sorry, ya’ll. I realize my argument here is poorly thought out and all over the place. It’s Friday, you’ll have to forgive me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellie,

Don't hate me, but I don't know that I agree with you. Yes, Bono is a respected unelected (haha.. good point about electing activists) activist, and his knowledge does extend beyond the average Canadian/American on most global issues, but on the grounds of him not being a Canadian and, therefore, not being representative of what the average Canadian wants, his spreading himself thin combating multiple global issues and using his celebrity to demand the audience of our PM, just does NOT jive with me. I think the average Canadian or at least a Canadian activist would have better grounds to make demands of our government's time. We should leave this job up to individuals whose opinions hold more weight. Perhaps if Bono targeted an audience solely with Bush (HIS gov't head - which likely shames him like most Americans) instead of trying to appeal to all G8 leaders, I wouldn't feel his attempts were so futile like they have been with Harper.

However, ....

to quote Arundhati Roy (activist and bookwriter) "To stay quiet is as political an act as speaking out. At least Bono is doing something. We should all do more.

(feel free not to post my comment)

Ellie Fish said...

I love that you disagree with me. I was really bothered by that news story and I couldn't really figure out exactly why I was so bothered.

One thing, you seem to imply that you think Bono is American. For shame! He's Irish!