18 May 2007

Happy May 2-4!

This weekend is the May 2-4. The 2-4 has always been my favourite long weekend. When I was a kid it was a given that we’d go to the cabin on The 2-4. Since The 2-4 is the official start of the short Canadian summer, we’d perform the rituals of opening up the cabin for the season. This included taking the canoes out of the cabin (where, for God knows what reason, they are stored for the winter), taking the battens off the screen porch, and putting away the things that were stored in an absurd “mouse-proof” manner.

The weather is never the greatest on The 2-4, Muskoka in May is still pretty cool. Even if the weekend was cold and rainy, it was always such a relief to get back to the cabin after more than 6 months of being away. Back then, waiting out the winter to get back to the cabin was sheer torture; nowadays, I’ll go years without getting up there and in the summer I find that to be unbearable. That place means more to me than the home I spent 19 years of my life in: I never get homesick for my childhood home, but I will ache for the cabin. In honour of happy 2-4 memories, I'm gonna post some cabin pictures. Isn't it beautiful?

On another note, how quaint is it that we have a holiday nicknamed for a case of beer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "May 2-4", eh? I think I've found a true difference in east-west regional dialect! In BC, the Victoria Day weekend is referred to as "May Long". Not "The May Long Weekend", but simply "May Long". For example, "I'll be going up to the cabin for May Long." Sounds vaguely Mandarin, but there you go.

-Oz