27 February 2007

Things Our Mothers Told Us

This should elicit some comments from you people. I was thinking the other day about the insane things our mothers tell us. Things that are both above and way, way beyond the usual, “eat your vegetables” or, “don’t talk to strangers.” I have three examples and hopefully some of you will add your own in the comments section.

1.As a child, my mother used to tell me if someone grabbed me in a public place that I was to scream, as loud as I could, all the swear words I knew. She thought that a child yelling for help wouldn’t attract attention, but a child yelling profanities would.

2. As a child, my aunt used to tell my cousin that if anyone ever grabbed her and tried to get her into a vehicle that she should fight for her life. Because once she was in the vehicle, my aunt would say, she was dead anyway.

3. My sister-in-law’s mother used to tell her that if she fell while ice skating, that she should bring her hands in right away, or someone could skate over her hand and take off her fingers.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh mommies, you got to love them. My mother was very relaxed and didn't freak out about anything... her most common saying - put it under cold water, it didn't matter if we had a scrap, burn or severed a finger the best fix is always putting it under cold water, funny enough it always seemed to work

Anonymous said...

It's scary how sometimes what they say may actually come true. My mother used to tell us never to accept food from anybody, even my friends at school, because it may have poison in it. Well, when I was 6 I accepted a chocolate cookie from a friend at school and it triggered a migrane attack that paralysed half my body and blinded me in one eye for the rest of the day. Let's just say I was in my last years of High school the next time I accepted food from my friends.