02 January 2007

2007: International Heliophysical Year

Happy New Year to everyone. I got back from Nova Scotia yesterday: I had an awesome two weeks with my niece and other family members. There were lots of presents and, for a Nasmith family gathering, surprisingly little fighting.

Now, being back in my office, it’s like I never left. I don’t really want to go into the whole thing too much. I hate to dwell on Holidays after they’re over, especially since I’m currently trying to psyche myself up for extensive lab work. I will say that the highlight was my niece, with seeing my friends from Dal a close second. My only regret is not staying in town longer so I could see Joel Plaskett play at the Marquee (though I could have gone to the New Year’s Eve Eve show if I’d known about it). It was wonderful getting back to Halifax. It is still my favourite city, and even though I love it, I somehow forgot some things while I was away that I thought I’d share.

Things I forgot about Halifax after being away for 20 months:

  • The smell. You get off the bus on Spring Garden and it hits you: salt water, grease, and car exhaust. It’s not unpleasant as much as it is distinct.


  • How awesome J.W. Doull and The Freak Lunchbox are. They may be my two favourite stores in all of creation.


  • The sound of the toilets in the Life Science Center on Dal campus: it sounds like someone torturing a cow.


  • How claustrophobically small the hallways in the Market are, and how long the Mary’s Breadbasket line can get. I had to go without a cinnamon bun.


  • The Dawg Father on campus. I didn’t see him this trip, but I had managed to forget him.
The thing I forgot about Edmonton after being away for 14 days:

  • When I wake up at 7:30am, the sun is still over 80 minutes away from rising.

No comments: