04 December 2006

WTF?

So I couldn’t sleep tonight and I found myself watching a silent film, The Ace of Hearts. I only saw what turned out to be the last 5 minutes or so. I couldn’t really figure out the plot. This night-of-the-living-dead-looking guy Farallone was trying to convince a group of equally living-dead-looking men that “love is construction” and that destruction is bad. He was really scary looking. He opened his eyes really wide at the end of each silent sentence. It was…disturbing. The others in the group would have none of his love talk, and wanted to get down to business. Said business was deciding which of them would be the one to take care of a traitor, some guy who wronged them in someway (they called him something like “the man who has lived too long”). The head dead-guy dealt out a deck of cards, and Farallone got the ace of hearts. He really enjoyed this and laughed silently and maniacally for quite a long time. The others wanted to know what was so funny, and he said, “I’ll tell you in 3 seconds.” Then the room blows up. I really didn’t get it. I mean, why was this guy preaching love if he was going to blow everyone up? And what had the traitor done? Is living too long such a punishable offence? And isn’t ace of spades supposed to be the death card? How the hell did this medium take off with such sloppy narratives and disturbing looking actors?

No comments: