09 December 2006

Spy Daddy haiku

Flipping channels just now, I see that Jane Seymour is guest-starring on Justice. I've only seen this show a few times but have judged it to be a far inferior vehicle for the glorious talents of Victor Garber than Alias was. I find it interesting that the stars of the two shows we watched last summer in the field are now together on another show. Seymour is playing an old flame of Garber’s who recently killed her teenage son. Dr. Mike and Spy Daddy together! What would Sully and Spy Mommy say?

Earlier today, in an attempt to keep awake during that deadly, soporific period between 2 and 3pm, I decided to write a haiku and submit it in a haiku contest. Haiku writing is much harder than I thought it would be. Everything I've written so far is just lame. I'm further handicapped in my writing by the fact that I seem to have a heretofore unknown inability to count syllables in my head. This means that I have to count the syllables on my fingers. This really hinders the creative process.

I would like to invite anyone reading this to attempt to write a haiku and send it to me, or post it in the comments section for all to see. The format we'll use will be the standard 3-line 5-7-5 syllable configuration. Here is an example:

Spy Daddy is now
a trial lawyer. Doctor
Mike murdered her kid.

See what I mean? Lame! I don’t think that qualifies as a haiku, even in the broadest definition of the term. I hope you can do better!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Permits"

I sit, typing the
Right words in the right text fields
The loons are watching.

-Oz

Anonymous said...

Counting syllables
Because Ellie wants a poem.
Enjoy the haiku!

- Deb

Anonymous said...

A couple of seasonal ones...

Snowflakes spiralling,
Cascading towards the ground
Glist'ning in sunlight.


Chanukkah candles.
The leader stands tall over
Eight others in line.