19 November 2006

Big Bird

I suppose I should write about the weekend portion of my trip. On Saturday we went to Granville Market. What struck me most about the market was the size of the sea gulls. I have never seen gulls that large in my life. They looked as though one more french fry or half-eaten spring roll would cause their skin to split and a whole new species of super-gull would emerge. You know how North America had a whole bunch of incredibly large animals that were wiped out by the first peoples? I bet the sea gulls at Granville are close to the sizes our Homo habilis friends encountered when they first crossed the land bridge.

Also at the market we saw one of the actors from the play we saw the previous night.

On Sunday we went to the Aquarium. Our friend Julie is an assistant trainer there and we got to see her do a beluga show, and feed the sea otters. The belugas are unbelievably lumpy. I didn’t take many pictures, the ones I took of Julie and the whales are really dark because of the downpour that day. I’ll post one anyway.

No comments: