28 November 2006

All we talk about is the weather

It's been remarkably cold in Edmonton for the last week. I use the word "remarkably" because people are remarking on it. A lot. On MSN my friends' have the following comments:
  • escaping the cold in 14 days...

  • -40 with the windchill???OK, this is ridiculous

  • -40*C and the city turns into a goddamn parking lot

  • Too cold for comfort

Sure, we complain a lot but secretly we love it. We love that if we were to go outside this moment we'd have 10 minutes before exposed skin started to freeze. We love that we already have over a foot of snow on the ground and it's not even December. We love that all those freaks in Ontario are walking around in t-shirts in their plus-16-degree weather. Why do we love it? Because we love to play the martyr. As long as it's really, really fucking cold here, we're automatically better than everyone else at a lower latitude and warmer temperature, and that's the majority of the Canadian public. Everyday life is hardest for us at the moment. Just walking to school or work could end tragically. I mean, who cares if Vancouver has to boil their water? In the time it takes them to boil water for a grande decaff whatever, my ears could have frozen solid.

Having said that, a friend pointed out the Environment Canada weather warning map to me earlier today. I sure hope no one is going to usurp Edmonton's throne. We really need this. Without nose-running, flesh-freezing, bone-aching deep freezes, we have nothing.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no way, I could never say that I love this weather, or anything connected to it. All those cold mornings walking to school has frozen your brain, making you delirious!

Candra

Anonymous said...

Let me point out that I've never come out and SAID that my hair is purple because of the cold . . . I've merely implied it multiple times. Not that anybody can see my hair now anyways, since I'm bundled up in my parka.

Oz

Unknown said...

That's pretty crazy! It was like 19C in Halifax last week. :P It's cooler now, but it's still going to be 10 tomorrow, 12 on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe..I agree you do have something, however, Vancouver has been hit hard this past month and thus should get some pitty according to Vancuverites! We had a tsunami warning, the boil water oder for 12 days, a snow fall that completely immobilized the whole city and cold temperatures that all overlapped...I find it funny that on the radio they were going on about a huge snowstorm and a cold wave hitting the city...it was barely 30cm...and we haven't dipped into the minus teens yet! I will give them one break...the don't have adequate heating in their buildings to deal with the cold. I don't remember wearing my winter jacket and touque while in class or in my office back in Halifax!